Cananéia (São Paulo, Brazil)

City: Cananéia
Country: Brazil
State: São Paulo
Interesting Facts:
- It is the southernmost city in the state of São Paulo
- The oldest settlement in Brazil
- It's at the border of the State of Paraná


My Commentary: Cananéia is a very important town in therms of History, but still there is a lot of work to be done to honour it because once in the town once can't realise how important the town were in the past. There is a monument in the central area, but people just ignore it, as the politicians probably also do.


History of Cananéia: On January 24, 1502, arrives on what today is Cananéia an expedition with Gaspar de Lemos and Amerigo Vespucci in order to claim and mark the new lands. They named the area Barra do Rio Cananor. This expedition brought an obscure figure in Brazilian history, the exiled Portuguese man Cosme Fernandes, known as Bachelor of Cananéia, which became a powerful figure in the region, possessing many slaves and not responding to the Portuguese crown. Years later, in 1531, Portugal sent another expedition under the command of Martim Afonso de Sousa, who arrived in the community of Marataiama (name written in the expedition book, which many believe it's actually what today is Ilha Comprida). This year is considered the official foundation of the "Vila". 

By 1534 the area was a reason of dispute by Portuguese and Spanish people because of a misinterpretation of the Tordesillas Treaty from the Spanish side, what culminated in what is called Iguape War.




 Anthem of Cananéia (Hymno dos Bandeirantes) by Alfredo Rodrigo


A document about the first time the anthem was played in 1931 and the music score










My Photos in Cananéia - Trip 2014
São Paulo e Sul - Coat of arms
My Commentary: I will sum it for now, after about 10 years without visiting our little house in Ilha Comprida, I finally went there with my family. Once there I had the ambitious idea of visiting my friends in the South of Brazil, since Ilha Comprida is in the South of São Paulo. At the end the plan worked better than I thought and I visited many places going by bus and then returning from the extreme South to my town by air plane. The list above follows the sequence of the route I did. It's possible to click in all the towns and get information and photos:

São Paulo

Paraná

Santa Catarina

Rio Grande do Sul


Here below there is a picture with some stuff I brought from all the places I visited.


My Photos in Cananéia - Trip 2014
My Commentary: That was the first time I went to Cananéia and I honest was expecting more of a town that was the first settlement in Brazilian territory. With a so rich History Cananéia should attract more tourists and be more famous. What I actually found was a calm little town trying to survive of the little they can offer. History there is quite hidden, for an unaware visitor the historical spots might pass unnoticed. The most nice for me was to the references to the BandeirantesMartim Afonso de Souza and the town's flag in which there is a cross of the Order of Christ.
The ferry boat to get from Iguape to Cananéia

The ferry boat to get from Iguape to Cananéia



The ferry boat port

The ferry boat port

The gates of Cananéia, with a ship to represent the Portuguese first settlers

Colonial styled houses














Martim Afonso de Souza Park - Beautiful date
















Flag of Cananéia


Flag of Cananéia

Flag of São Paulo

Flag of São Paulo








5 stars pub named "Floor of Stars"













My Photos in Cananéia in 2016
My Commentary: I spent only one day in Cananéia this time, the city hall has moved from its place of 2013, and that was a nice place almost by the sea. One more time I ended up not going to Ilha do Cardoso, which is a paradise-like island one can go from Cananéia by boat. I had my lunch at Pesqueiro Beira Mar, which served a well done food and the portion of side plate (meat) was bigger than usual. The monuments and historical parts of the town have still with no care or attention from the local politicians.




Monument in tribute to Martin Afonso de Sousa and the Bandeirantes


A refurbished Forum

A refurbished Forum

Espetinho Beira Mar (BBQ and food)




Igreja Matriz - Roman Catholic Church

Gates of Cananéia

No comments:

Post a Comment